As a Coastie, I have traveled the States for the past 20 years going from coast to coast and one amazing adventure to another.
Read on in this blog to hear stories about my experiences living the Coast Guard life, not only as a military officer but also as a small town Midwestern girl who left home to enlist in the United States Coast Guard.
I look forward to hearing what you have to say about... My Coast Guard Career.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

PRK: Pre Operation


As I mention in my first post about my PRK experience, preparation is the one thing I think is the most important key to success.

I read all kinds of articles and talked to my friends who had corrective eye surgery. I built a library in my mind of potential problems, outcomes and expectations. I mentally prepared for any situation I could think of in hopes of keeping myself calm and reassured.

Anti-Inflammatory Foods
Here is what I did to prepare:
  • Got dog sitters for the first 3 days, so I didn’t have to worry about walks.
  • Loaded up on easy to prepare, healthy, anti-inflammatory foods like fresh spinach salad stuff, frozen salmon meals, pre-packaged smoothies, yogurt, etc.
  • Bought gel eye masks. They don’t completely freeze and they can be worn while sleeping. These packs were so valuable! They numbed the pain and helped me sleep.
  • Took high dosage Vitamen C and Fish Oil for a week before surgery and all through recovery. Doctor says these help healing.
  • Made sure I had my favorite sleep-inducing drug of choice. For me, it was NyQuil and Tylenol PM. I didn’t want to use the narcotic prescription drugs unless absolutely necessary. I wanted to make sure I followed the doctor’s orders, used the drops as scheduled, and didn't just knock myself out to avoid the pain. 

What ended up being another crucial item was a moist, cold washcloth. It kept my eyes damp and helped avoid the residue from the eye drops. My eyes watered excessively the first few days and the drops keep them flushed. But the drops do cause a sort of crust on the eyelashes and in the corners of the eyes. The washcloth really helped and kept me from touching my eyes.

That’s pretty much it. I was ready for surgery. In my next few posts, I will recount each day after surgery.

No comments: