As a Coastie, I have traveled the States for the past 20 years going from coast to coast and one amazing adventure to another.
Read on in this blog to hear stories about my experiences living the Coast Guard life, not only as a military officer but also as a small town Midwestern girl who left home to enlist in the United States Coast Guard.
I look forward to hearing what you have to say about... My Coast Guard Career.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

PRK: My Decision


Why now? Why do PRK at the age of 39 when my vision isn’t all that bad (I am was around a -2 in both eyes).

My Reasons:
  • Glasses are a pain and I can’t wear contacts (deep set, dry eyes).
  • I love to travel and the risk of losing or breaking glasses is annoying.
  • I love ocean sports. It sure is a hard to see shore without glasses.
  • I didn’t like wearing glasses. I have great eyes and I swear men are not attracted to women who wear glasses. (Did I mention I am STILL single?? As if dating isn’t hard enough without glasses.)
  • I have spent the last year doing things I haven't made time for. Eye surgery was one of those things, and I really wanted to see if I was a good candidate for the procedure. 

Helping to ease the pain (literally!) of deciding to do the surgery was the fact I am active duty military and in the Washington, DC area where some of the military’s top hospitals are located. There’s Bethesda, Malcolm Grow and Walter Reed. My personal favorite is the Air Force’s Malcolm Grow – mostly because it is closest and easiest to get to from my house.

An added bonus is that I don’t have to pay for the surgery. The military performs the surgery for those members where vision and the ability to wear face masks is essential – like flying, combat operations, shooters, etc. So, I was a low priority and had to wait several months for the hospital to be able to fit me in. But, I was a patient patient.

In my next post, I will explain why I went with PRK over LASIK. I will also briefly explain the difference between the two procedures. 

No comments: