As a Coastie, I have traveled the States for the past 20 years going from coast to coast and one amazing adventure to another.
Read on in this blog to hear stories about my experiences living the Coast Guard life, not only as a military officer but also as a small town Midwestern girl who left home to enlist in the United States Coast Guard.
I look forward to hearing what you have to say about... My Coast Guard Career.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Working with the Canadian Coast Guard

A few fellow Coasties have asked me what the yellow helicopter is in the picture at the top of my blog. They know it doesn't look like a U.S. Coast Guard helo since ours are usually orange or white. Well, they are right. It is a Canadian Air Force CH-149 Cormorant search and rescue aircraft.

While I was stationed in Maine as the Sector Command Center Chief (although this is a description of Miami’s Sector Command Center, all of the USCG Command Centers are basically the same), I worked with the Canadian Coast Guard quite a bit handling cross-border search and rescue. We held several exercises to practice and test our interoperability and joint efforts in search and rescue.

The picture at the top of my blog and these other pictures were taken during a two-day training session where we practiced using each other’s equipment during simulated search and rescue scenarios. We conducted man-overboard drills; we used the different types of water pumps to de-water a flooding boat; and we simulated transferring a person from a small boat to a helicopter. In the picture at the top of my blog, a USCG 47-foot Motor Life Boat is simulating a passenger transfer from the boat to the Canadian Comorant.




I really enjoyed working with both the Canadian Coast Guard and the Canadian Air Force while stationed up in Maine. The U.S. Coast Guard has an excellent relationship with the two forces and I look forward to working with them again in the future.

No comments: