As a Coastie, I have traveled the States for the past 20 years going from coast to coast and one amazing adventure to another.
Read on in this blog to hear stories about my experiences living the Coast Guard life, not only as a military officer but also as a small town Midwestern girl who left home to enlist in the United States Coast Guard.
I look forward to hearing what you have to say about... My Coast Guard Career.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Firsts and Lasts

As a Coastie, I have gone through many “firsts” and “lasts”. Since I move around every couple of years, you would think I would be used to starting fresh and to saying goodbye. Saying goodbye has definitely gotten much easier but starting fresh has seemed to get harder.

Starting fresh used to be really exciting and liberating. However, after the first five moves, the novelty wore off. Just as I would start to get used to a new town and to feel comfortable, I would have to pack up, leave and start all over again someplace new. Although it is typical in the military to be able to stay in one place for three to four years, I have relocated on average every 1.5 years because of promotions and opportunities (I have moved nine times in the past 14 years). This has probably played a significant role in my anxiety towards future relocations. Now, I long for geographic stability and a closet that desperately needs cleaning out… for the coffee shop where people know my name and I know theirs… or the chance to take a long walk with my Mom every night.

The downside of learning to say goodbye is the challenge of staying in touch and maintaining the friendships that I started. I miss so many of the wonderful people I have met along my journey and wish it were easier to keep them in my life. Even with all this great technology, if you can’t be physically near the ones you care about it is way to easy to fall out of touch.

So, as I say goodbye to another “last” (I am on the last Spring Break of my life) and get ready for another “first” (as I near graduation, another relocation and the start of a new career path), here is a shout-out to all those I care about but have lost touch with (that is if you are actually reading my blog…). I think about you all very often and wish we were still able to meet up for beers, card games, pool parties, holiday dinners, or whatever it is that we so enjoyed doing together. Even though I stink at staying in touch, you still mean the world to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Connie, Loved ready all the blogs, I never really new much about your career. you'll do great in your new endeavors, and hopefully you'll get your coffee shop where everyone knows your name!! I know I have not been great at keeping in touch either, but I do think of you and all the good times we had and hope to have more good times one day!! I often think about or 12 days of christmas song!!! Remember that?? Can't wait to keep reading the blogs. Keep in touch!

Love ya,
Jello

Just a Girl in a Port said...

What a relatable post. I think you will find that countless people will agree with you.

I agree with you, with age, starting fresh does get harder.